You found your dress and it just needs to be adjusted a little here and a little there. Here are a few tips to make your dress fitting experience as smooth as possible.
- Start with a dress size in YOUR size
- Although it is possible to adjust a dress to fit your figure perfectly, it is best to present the seamstress with a proper starting point don’t you think? Choosing a dress as close to your natural size makes it easier for the seamstress to make the necessary alterations. Keep in mind, that it is easier to take in a dress than let it out. There are materials out there (such as silk) that are not too forgiving when it comes to concealing their previous seams and will leave those scars for all to see. Also, there might not be enough fabric available to make the necessary adjustments. Keeping these two things in mind will help your experience become more pleasant.
- Taking In > Taking Out
- As mentioned above, it is easier to take in a dress than let it out, especially if you don’t want your dress to have the scars of once before. Key tip: If a dress doesn’t fit you perfectly and you do need to make further adjustments, buy the dress that fits best on the biggest part of your body so there is no taking out but only taking in.
- Go to a reputable tailor.
- Just that. This is your day and this is thee dress. Go with someone who has put in the and knows what they are doing.
- Tell seamstress about future body changes.
- If you are planning to lose a few more pounds before the big day, let them know so they can strategize on the best way to approach the situation. The final goal for both parties is to look good, feel good and be happy and here, communication is the key.
- Wear the secret outfit
- Ladies, this is a very important detail that must not be overlooked. It’s just underwear, it’s thin enough and small enough not to do any damage right? But honey, that’s all it takes. Bring your “the night of the wedding outfit” and get fitted the right way. We’re aiming for perfection here am I right?
- Wedding Shoes
- If you haven’t gotten them already, think about getting your wedding shoes before the fitting. Wedding dresses are tailored to be a certain length above the floor. Hovering right over your shoes, just enough so you do not trip over your dress.
I hope these tips prepare you for a perfect dress fitting experience. Do you have any other tips to add to this list? Share your experience with us.